Athletic trainer & concussion resources
Athletic trainers are healthcare professionals who collaborate with physicians and specialize in prevention, emergency care, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of sport-related injuries and illnesses.
Our athletic trainer is Jenny Newell, a full-time faculty member, available to help ASL students with injuries and injury prevention.
Jenny Newell, AT
+44 7896 173765
This is Jenny's seventh year at ASL and her 16th year as a certified athletic trainer. Before moving to London, Jenny was head athletic trainer at Powdersville High School in Greenville, SC, Wren High School in Easley, SC, and Rye Neck High School in Mamaroneck, NY. Jenny is originally from Irmo, SC and graduated from Dutch Fork High School in 1996. She holds a bachelor's degree in physical education from the University of South Carolina, with an emphasis on athletic training, and a cognate in sports management. She went on to work as a graduate assistant at Manhattan College in New York City. Jenny loves all sports, but particularly enjoys supporting USC Gamecocks, Carolina Panthers and Tottenham Hotspur.
Due to the flexible and changing nature of athletics, Jenny has office hours at ASL from 11:30 am to 3:05 pm, after which she is either traveling with teams or out at practices. If you need to arrange a meeting or an injury evaluation, please call or email her to set a time.
Links for Parents, Athletes and Coaches
Article: Middle School Concussion Talk
Instructions for taking the free NFHS online concussion course:
All athletes and parents are encouraged to take this course
The NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations) has led the development of education-based interscholastic sports and activities to help students succeed since 1920.
- Visit the NFHS Learning Center website, http://www.nfhslearn.com/
- Complete the brief registration exercise located at the upper right-hand side of the page.
- When your registration is complete you may “order” the free concussion course offered along the left-hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you’ll be charged for the course, there is no fee.
- Once you’ve completed “checkout,” you’ll be able to take the free online course, which takes approximately 25 minutes.
- When you’ve completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion.
If you desire a recommendation, ASL has an on-going relationship with a local concussion specialist.
England Rugby interactive online concussion awareness course for parents, guardians and teachers.
The Medical Waiver Form, available below, is mandatory and necessary before participating in Athletics. A parent or guardian must complete the form on behalf of the student. If required, you must also complete the Physical Examination Form.
This form is required only once per year, and is different from the online health form.
A parent or guardian must complete this form on behalf of the student.