Life in London
ASL is located in central London. This allows opportunities to further enhance the educational experience for our students, as well as provide numerous cultural and leisure opportunities for our teachers.
From restaurants and musical events to museums and the theater, there's always something to do and see. One of the world's most exciting cities, London offers a variety of activities and experiences for all ages. ASL is located in St. John's Wood, only minutes from many London attractions.
The majority of ASL faculty lives close to the School. London is also a great "jumping-off point" for keen travelers and many European capitals are just a short flight away.
School trips include:
A week when High School students participate in a cultural, adventure or service experience. Past Alternatives trips include:
- Cooking in Naples
- Scuba diving in the Algarve
- Rock climbing in Alicante
- Hiking in Wales
- Rome: Ancient Renaissance & Modern
- Art Nouveau and Architecture: Sketches of Budapest
- Exploring exotic Slovenia through photography & writing
- Film in Berlin
- Theater in London
- Writing in Ireland: A creative writing workshop
- Tutoring at a local London state school
Language immersion trips
Middle and High school students visit France and Spain to improve their language skills.
International Schools Sports Tournaments
The ISST is an organization of 23 international schools in Europe and the Middle East that gathers for tournaments each season. Athletes and their coaches routinely travel to competitions in cities such as Paris, Brussels, Cairo, Frankfurt and Geneva.
International Honor Band/Choir/Orchestra
Musicians from international schools all over the world apply to play in these ensemble groups, which meet at a host school for several days of rehearsal followed by a gala concert. In the past, student groups have been to Brussels, Geneva, Zurich, Beijing, Singapore, Doha and Vienna.
Service learning trips
Teachers act as chaperones for High School service learning trips. Groups have recently been to:
- South Africa to work with Ubuntu, an organization co-founded by alumnus Jacob Lief '95 dedicated to funding education
- Mexico to work with Triqui and Zapotec children
- Canada to work with residents of a Quebec reservation
Time it takes to fly from London to:
- Paris: 1 hour
- Berlin: 1.5 hours
- Barcelona: 2 hours
- Prague: 2 hours
- Rome: 2.5 hours
- Athens: 3.5 hours
- Istanbul: 4 hours
- Moscow: 4 hours
- Cairo: 5 hours