This year's theme
The theme for this year's program is "Before I'm 18...", where students are encouraged to explore their hopes, dreams and goals for their immediate future.
Students engage in a wide range of activities including: ceramics, photography, drama, rhythmic gymnastics, swimming, music, science experiments, fashion design, and much more! Sessions take place on Saturdays at ASL from 9:30 am-12:30 pm, and snacks/lunch are provided each week. The first semester includes get-to-know-you activities, an overview of SHINE student expectations, and an orientation to the program.
The project phase begins in February and culminates with a final presentation for families and teachers. Our project phase pairs students with Project Mentors who will meet with them to develop a plan and support them in acquiring the technical skills needed to create their project.
Throughout the year we will have special events such as optional swim, boxing, and basketball sessions. These activities take place in addition to our scheduled sessions, and participants are informed of these sessions via email.
Getting to Know Each Other
- 6 Nov - Welcome & Introductions
- 13 Nov - Boxing, Rhythmic Gymnastics, & Drawing
- 20 Nov - Photography & Drawing (Session I)
- 27 Nov - Team Games & Science Experiments
- 4 Dec - Photography & Drawing (Session II)
- 11 Dec - Improvisation Games & Water Safety
Introduction to Projects
- 15 Jan - Storytelling & Identity Unit
- 22 Jan - Storytelling & Identity Unit
- 29 Jan - Storytelling & Identity Unit
- 5 Feb - Storytelling & Identity Unit
- 12 Feb - Meeting with your project mentors!
Project Phase with Mentors
- 26 Feb - Project Work
- 5 March - Project Work (continued)
- 12 March - Finalize Projects
- 19 March - Project Presentations
- 26 March - Celebration of Learning