Apply for financial aid
How to apply for financial aid
Dates: Families can begin applying for aid on 1 October. Returning families must apply by 15 January, and the deadline for prospective families is 1 March.
The School believes in working with families in a partnership, and all families are required to make a contribution toward tuition. In order to evaluate the family’s demonstrated need, the School requires full and confidential disclosure of financial resources on the part of the family. This information allows the School to put together an appropriate package of support that can make it possible for a student to attend ASL.
Financial aid decisions and admissions decisions are made independently, and any enrolled student or accepted applicant is eligible to apply for financial assistance, regardless of nationality, age, gender, race, or previous educational experiences.
To begin your financial aid application, follow the steps below. Once you have submitted the application, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us that it is complete.
1. Complete the Parents’ Financial Statement online
- From 1 October, visit solutionsbysss.com.
- Click on the “Families” tab (top right) and choose "Login to complete or update your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS)."
- You will set up a PFS online account using your email address and a password. Returning parents: If you completed an online PFS application last year, use your email address and existing password. If you have forgotten your password, click on “Forgot my password.”
- The ASL school code is 2175.
- Submit and pay for the PFS. Vouchers are available for families who find it a financial burden to pay the SSS processing fee. Please contact the admissions office for a voucher.
2. Submit statement of need
- The statement of need should outline your family circumstances.
3. Submit financial information
- P60 or W-2 form
- Recent US or UK pay slip showing year-to-date earnings for 2020
- UK tax return for year ending April 2019 (April 2020 if available) or US tax return for year ending December 2019 (December 2020 if available).
- Parents paying UK taxes should use estimated figures from April 2020 to March 2021 where it calls for figures from fiscal year 2020.
- The SSS methodology requires that all information be in US dollars; we convert the results back to pounds sterling. When filling out your PFS, please convert all figures in pounds sterling to US dollars using the following exchange rate: £1 GBP=$1.5 USD. For the sake of consistency, we use a five-year average currency conversion rate.Families paid in other currencies should call the admissions office for the current conversion rate.
- P45 if applicable
- Business/farm statement if applicable
You can either upload these documents to SSS, submit them directly to ASL via the mail, or email attachments to email@example.com.
Documents must be received by 1 March 2021. Please note, your application will not be considered complete until these documents have been received.
To submit these documents online, go to the Manage Documents tab in the PFS Online. There, you can upload documents from your computer. Save each document separately in one of the following formats: Adobe Acrobat .pdf, Microsoft Word, .jpg, or .tif. On the Manage Documents page, click on “Browse,” locate the document, then click on “Upload.”
To submit these documents by mail, send one copy (not the original) of each document to Ken Craig, Associate Dean of Admissions, The American School in London, One Waverley Place, London NW8 0NP.
- Call SSS customer service at +1 (952) 967-9922 (Monday-Friday, 9 am-8 pm EST; Saturday, 9 am-4 pm EST)
- Email SSS customer service
- Contact Associate Dean of Admissions Ken Craig, + 44 (0)207 449 1301
(Please submit by 1 March)
- Parent Financial Statement
- Statement of Need
- Supporting Documents