What is Gift Aid? How does it benefit ASL?
Gift Aid is the UK government's program to encourage gifts to charities. If you are a UK taxpayer, please consider using Gift Aid to make your donation go further:
- ASL will receive an additional 25p for every £1 you donate
- For example, a £100 donation will result in a £125 donation: your gift (£100) + Gift Aid (£25) = £125 for ASL
How do I qualify for Gift Aid?
- You must be a UK taxpayer
- You must pay in income tax or capital gains tax at least equal to the amount of tax ASL will claim on your gifts for the tax year
- Please note that gifts of stock and gifts via a foundation do not qualify for Gift Aid
Easy Steps Donor(s) can do to make their gift go further
Step 1: Donor makes personal gift of £1,000 to ASL
Step 2: Donor completes Gift Aid Declaration form
Step 3: ASL then submits Gift Aid claim to HMRC for £250
Step 4: ASL recommends that you consult your accountant or financial planner regarding the best tax benefit structure for your gift
Tax Benefit to Donor(s)
- Donor’s gift of £1,000 will be recognized for a total gift amount of £1,250
- Donor can claim £312.50 on UK taxes [(£1,250 x 45% tax rate) minus Gift Aid amount already claimed by ASL (£250)]
- Donor itemizes £1,250 deduction on US taxes (donation + Gift Aid amount claimed by ASL)
To learn more about ASL's charitable status, click here.